After all of the wildfires in California over the last year, the California Association of Realtors® (CAR) has some tips on how to make your home safer from ignition by embers landing on roofs, entering the home through vents and landing on decks and porches, including:
- Using meal or asphalt roofs rather than roofs made of wood shingles;
- Using 1/8th inch metal screening over vents to prevent embers entering through them;
- Using tempered glass windows to prevent them from breaking and allowing heat to enter the home;
- Keeping combustible materials at least 5 feet away from walls; and
- Avoiding flammable wooden patio furniture and decks.