(Please click on the above image to view our short YouTube video)
Madison Weil, from local ABC affiliate KESQ, recently took a behind-the-scenes look at this year’s 60th Anniversary Edition of the Desert Classic (running from January 16th to 20th in La Quinta). This year’s event is expected to draw up to 75,000 visitors to the Coachella Valley. Jeff Sanders, the tournament's executive director, recently gave Madison a behind-the-scenes tour and look at some of the amenities that visitors can expect this year, such as:
- The Albertsons Vons Fan Pavilion, a 12,000 square foot tent containing several bars, restaurants and sports on the big screen that overlooks the tournament’s 18th hole. The $30 admission fee gives gives fans access to most food, beverage and viewing areas.
- The Casamigos Tequila Club 17 and Michelob Ultra Beers fore Birdies Suite” overlooking the tournament’s 17th hole. At the Beer fore Birdies tent, every time there’s a birdie made on the 17th hole, the beers will be half price for 15 minutes.
- Friday and Saturday nights, the tournament will feature two concerts on the lawn by the 18th hole. Sammy Hagar headlines Friday night’s concert and Bad Company headlines the Saturday night concert.
- While spectators can expect a lot of good golf and entertainment, they’re also supporting charities across the Coachella Valley. This year’s tournament is expected to raise over a million dollars (bringing the Tournament’s total charitable contributions over its 60 years to over $60 million).
- Oh and did we mention the field? This year it includes the Number 1 player in the World Golf Rankings and the reigning FedExCup Champion, Justin Rose, 9 major champions, including 2016 Masters Champion Danny Willett, 2011 Masters Champion Charl Schwartzel and 2010 US Open Champion Graeme McDowell, 11 past Desert Classic champions, including two time winner Phil Mickelson and last years defending champion, Jon Rahm, and the winners of 234 total PGA Tour Tournaments.
To view Madison Weil’s behind-the-scenes look at this year’s Desert Classic, please visit: https://www.kesq.com/news/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-this-year-s-desert-classic-golf-tournament/974223059