Xochitl Pena writes in The Desert Sun that all things mid-century modern return to the Coachella Valley during the upcoming Modernism Week Fall Preview 2016, running from October 21st to 23rd. Tickets for the event go on sale Aug. 1st at noon (PST) and typically sell out quickly, so folks interested in participating should begin to map out their game plan now. The Fall Preview provides a taste of what will be offered during the main 11-day Modernism Week 2017 event, running from February 16th to 26th. Tickets to the Modernism Week 2017 event go on sale November 1st at noon (PST).
Tickets for Fall Preview 2016 events will be available at modernismweek.com. Some highlights of new and popular activities:
- The Opening Night Party and Early Buying Preview reception, featuring furniture, art and textiles from more than 40 decorative and fine arts dealers, at the Modernism Show & Sale on Oct. 21st at the Palm Springs Convention Center;
- Architectural tours include a walking tour of Palm Springs, a guided tour of Sunnylands in Rancho Mirage and Double Decker Bus Tours of Palm Springs;
- Home tours of Frank Sinatra’s “Twin Palms” Estate and the iconic Frey House II residence. There’s also the ONE–PS Neighborhood Home Tour and Pads, Pools & Patios events that showcases homes in Palm Springs neighborhoods;
- Lectures such as “Modernism With a Twist," “Lost, Saved & Endangered” and "Palm Springs to Los Angeles and Back" will entertain and educate, while the screening of “Desert Maverick – The Singular Architecture of William F. Cody” will share his story and iconic buildings;
- Palm Springs Walk of Stars dedication for local architectural historian and founder of Palm Springs Modern Tours, Robert Imber, on Oct. 22nd at the Palm Springs Art Museum Architecture and Design Center;
- A cocktail reception on Oct. 22nd honoring architect E. Stewart Williams at The Shops at Thirteen Forty Five, a restored historic commercial building designed by Williams in 1955. The event raises funds for the historic nomination of homes and buildings designed by the architect; and last but certainly not least:
- Christopher Kennedy’s “Palm Springs Pad” Preview party on Oct. 21st with public tours on Oct. 22nd and 23rd. The home is updated with the latest in home décor to help inspire guests.
To read Xochitl Pena’s original article and view the accompanying pictures, courtesy of The Desert Sun, please visit: http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/events/modernism/2016/07/26/get-taste-mod-modernism-week-palm-springs-fall-event/87574330/