The Desert Sun’s Bruce Fessier writes that Empire Music Ventures, led by the son of the owner of the Empire Polo Club, will present the Desert Oasis Music Festival Oct. 7-8, the same opening dates as last year’s Desert Trip, with reggae bands Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley and Rebelution as headliners. Also on the two-day bill of more than 20 acts on three stages are hip-hop and R&B artist J-Boog, Latin rockers Los Lobos, the ska punk band Reel Big Fish, rapper Warren G, roots singer-guitarist Janelle Phillips, the desert reggae band Mozaiq and Joshua Tree’s genre-bending Spankshaft.
Tickets go on sale at noon Friday, July 14th at DesertOasisMusicFestival.com. Organizers expect to draw about 10,000 for this first Desert Oasis Music Festival, with hopes that it will grow significantly in subsequent years. Two-day passes range from $175-$550, but, unlike the Goldenvoice festivals, one-day passes will also be available at prices ranging from $99-$300. One-day passes for weekend events have always been popular with desert residents, but Desert Oasis also is offering car and tent camping for $60 plus fees, and RV camping for $180 plus fees.
Desert Oasis Music Festival At A Glance:
- What: The Desert Oasis Music Festival, presented by Empire Music Ventures
- When: Oct. 7-8, 1 p.m.-midnight
- Saturday Artists: Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley, Steel Pulse, Los Lobos, E-40, The Green Murs,Hirie, Quinto Sol, Courtney Chambers and more
- Sunday Artists: Rebelution, J-Boog, Reel Big Fish, Warren G, Fortunate Youth, Inner Circle, Through the Roots and more
- Where: Empire Polo Grounds, 81-800 Ave. 51, Indio
- Ticket Prices: $99-$300 for one-day; $175-$550 for two-day passes; $60-$80 for camping. On sale at noon Friday, July 14th
- Information: DesertOasisMusicFestival.com
To read Bruce Fessier’s article and view Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley's "Set Up Shop" music video, courtesy of The Desert Sun, please visit: New Music Festival Featuring Reggae And R & B Coming To Indio This Fall