Now that Modernism Week Fall Preview 2019 is behind us, The Desert Sun Arts and Culture editor Brian Blueskye writes that the schedule for Modernism Week 2020 has been announced. Modernism Week 2020, which will run from February 13-23, 2020, will mark the 15 year for this local 11-day celebration of modernist architecture.
Modernism Week 2020 will feature more than 350 events, including the Palm Springs Modernism Show & Sale, tours of historic homes in over 30 neighborhoods, architectural biking and double-decker bus tours, a classic car show, and a series of talks. Featured homes include the Gillman Residence, restored by Palm Springs duo Thomboy Properties; the Guggenheim House, recently remodeled by Grace Home Furnishings in Palm Springs; Divine DuBois, featuring new furnishings and decor by Palm Springs interior designer Christopher Kennedy; the Miles Bates "Wave" House restored to architect Walter S. White's original designs; and Mesa Modern, a design house in collaboration with interior designer Michelle Boudreau, landscape architect John Feldman of Santa Monica-based Ecocentrix, and the design team Jupiter House.
Other new events for Modernism Week 2020 include:
- The Modernism Week keynote address by architect, professor and set designer Daniel Libeskind
- Programs celebrating the Alexander Family
- A Palm Desert signature home tour
- A panel on saving the Sunset Magazine archives
- Nancy Sinatra appearing at the Plaza Theatre
- Shea Residence home tour by Palm Springs Modern Committee
- A panel talk, "Daughters of Design: Bertoia, Eames, and Saarinen"
- A symposium on California mid-century architecture, art, design, and culture called "Birth of the Cool"
- A "Nutty Professor" party at the Jerry Lewis House
- Lectures on the significance of John Lautner
- A series of talks on Australia’s modern architecture
- The Modernism Week Opening Night Party, "Space Modyssey 2020" on Feb. 13, at the Palm Springs Air Museum, which will be transformed into a futuristic space station with intergalactic-themed cocktails and cuisine and feature entertainment by Space Oddity, a David Bowie tribute performer.
Tickets go on sale on Nov. 1 at noon PDT at modernismweek.com.
To read Brian Blueskye’s original article, courtesy of The Desert sun, please visit: https://www.desertsun.com/story/life/2019/10/22/modernism-week-announces-2020-schedule-featuring-architect-daniel-libeskind/4064386002/
CalDRE# 01898254 | 01896117 | 02043759