One of the coolest summer events in the desert is the annual Palm Springs International ShortFest Film Festival, taking place from June 21st to June 27th. More than 300 shorts, ranging from mere seconds in length to up to 40 minutes, will be categorized and screened as mini collections in categories covering diverse film genres, geographic regions and themes. The screenings and box office will be located at Camelot Theatres, 2300 E. Baristo Road in Palm Springs. For tickets and passes, go to http://www.psfilmfest.org/2016-shortfest.
As the Desert Sun’s Xochitl Pena notes, almost every night of the Palm Springs International ShortFest is capped off with a party at various venues across Palm Spring that include pool-centric resorts, mid-century buildings and well-known restaurants. These parties provide not only an outlet for filmmakers to mingle and network with others in the industry, but it lets fans of the genre meet the folks behind the films. Each party has a different vibe, but there’s always music, dancing, drinking and food.
Here is Xochitl’s list of the parties associated with the festival:
- June 21: The Opening Night package of films kicks off at 6:30 p.m. with shorts from film festival winners from around the world. The program is followed by a reception at LuLu California Bistro, 200 S. Palm Canyon Dr. Cost is $50 for the film program and party.
- June 22: Bowie Tribute Party from 9 p.m. to midnight at one of Palm Springs’ newest boutique hotels, The Arrive Hotel (located at 1551 N. Palm Canyon Dr. in Palm Springs). The poolside party will feature a DJ and musical tribute to music icon David Bowie. Cost is $25 for the party.
- June 23: The annual Gay!La, celebrating diversity in film, is from 9:30 p.m. to midnight at Toucan’s Tiki Lounge, 2100 N. Palm Canyon Dr. Cost is $25 for the party.
- June 24: The ShortFest Formal is from 9:30 p.m. to midnight at one of Palm Springs’ newest event venues, The Bank (located at 383 S. Palm Canyon Dr. in Palm Springs). The Bank is located in the original mid-century modern Coachella Valley Savings and Loan Building, designed by E. Stewart Williams and built in 1955. Cost is $25 for the party.
- June 25: The C’est Si Bon! Party is from 9:30 to midnight at Snapshot Studios, 4575 E. Camino Parocela. This party honors all the French language films and filmmakers and follows the C’est Si Bon! Program which includes five shorts. Cost is $25 for the party.
- June 26: The Closing Night Awards ceremony kicks off at 6:30 pm at the Camelot Theatres and ends with the Wrap Party at the Hyatt Palm Springs, 285 N. Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs. Cost is $50 for the ceremony and wrap party.
To read Xochitl Pena’s original article, courtesy of The Desert Sun, please visit: http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/movies/shortfest/2016/06/14/palm-springs-shortfest-party-guide/85886836/