(Please click on the image above to view our short video highlight reel)
The Desert Sun’s Amy DiPierro recently wrote about Palm Springs modernist masterpiece, the Alexander House, hitting the market for the first time in over 20 years. The home was designed and built for Dr. Franz Alexander beginning in the fall of 1955 by famed architect Walter S White. White who designed over 300 residences, worked with Frank Lloyd Wright, Alverta Frey and Rudolf Schindler. The home, named for Dr. Alexander, should not be confused with the city’s Alexander tract homes, the sleekly designed houses built by the Alexander Construction Company in the 1950s and 1960s.
The Alexander House is an unusual two-story, 3,217 square feet, 3 bedroom, 4 bathroom home, sitting on a roughly 1/3 of an acre lot in Palm Springs’ Little Tuscany neighborhood. It features a sloping wood roof with exposed V-shaped steel support beams, a frame that appears to dangle over the boulder strewn desert, expansive views of the Coachella Valley, an Albert Frey designed steel staircase climbing one side of a lava rock wall, a circular pool and spa, a detached casita with its own kitchen, a two-car garage and a steel chandelier designed by White himself. The home was refurbished by White in the mid-1980s and was gutted and completely renovated in the mid-1990s by the current owner. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. The Alexander House is listed for sale at $2,795,000.
To read Amy DiPierro’s original article and view the accompanying pictures, courtesy of The Desert Sun, please visit: https://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/events/modernism/2018/02/09/modernist-masterpiece-palm-springs-hits-market-2-8-million/323057002/
Listing courtesy of Bennion Deville Homes.